What is Circumcision?
Circumcision is the surgery to remove the skin at the very tip of the penis. Baby boys are born with a loose flap of skin which covers and protects the rounded top part of the penis. This is known as foreskin. This contains nerves, blood vessels, and or tiny part of muscle.
How is Circumcision done?
Circumcision procedure is a quick procedure. It only takes a few minutes to be done. The foreskin is removed, and petroleum jelly such as Vaseline is put on the wound before it is wrapped n gauze.
Why is Circumcision done?
Parents decide whether or not to have their boy circumcised when he is born. Not all baby boys are circumcised. Things that can affect parents’ decision may include:
- Religious or cultural beliefs
- Social beliefs
- Medical reasons- Circumcision may lower your risk of some cancers and infections
What are the reasons for which you might not have been circumcised?
Some of the reasons may be:
- You may have been born with a bleeding disorder known as haemophilia
- You might have been born with other problems with penis or foreskin
- Religious, social, or medical reasons have not influenced your parents to opt for the circumcision.
Are there any medical benefits of circumcision?
There are some medical benefits with circumcision. Some of them are mentioned below:
- Circumcision procedure lowers the risk of cancer of the penis
- Who are circumcised have less chance of getting a sexually transmitted disease
- Who are circumcised have slightly lower risk of getting urinary tract infection
Can I get circumcised as a young adult?
Circumcision may be done at any age. Your doctor may suggest circumcision later if:
- You have repeated infections of the foreskin that do not get better with treatment
- You cannot pull the foreskin away from the tip of the penis